My beautiful jacket is done!
eleanors_closet. Carla fits the original jacket; I had to size it up a little. The sleeves have a small gather at the top shoulder seam, that is cartridge pleated into place (though this definitely shows up later - by 1630, it's a bit of a cheat for me, because I haven't perfected the pattern size yet). I left off the sleeve wings and the collar and cuff tabs because I wanted a simpler look.
It is linen inside and out, and I think the lining works extremely well as a contrast to the outer green. The trim design is based on doublet layouts from pictures of the period. I didn't want to do the usual "cover all the seams" look, and looking at the finished product, I'm glad I went with this style, as it looks awesome.
The pattern is the one from Patterns of Fashion, redacted by Carla Bauer and
The trim is also linen, a five strand braid, and uses about 25 yards. Every single part is hand-stitched, including the covering on the hooks and eyes (which makes them much less likely to slip open). I used 14 hooks and eyes, the aforementioned 25 yards of linen trim, and about 3 yards each of lining and shell fabric.
It took about three weeks to sew from start to finish, including covering the hook and eyes (three nights), and braiding the trim (four to five days).
I'm in my underwear (shift), and I'm wearing a silk pair of bodies underneath. I've ordered five yards of pink silk Dupioni to make a petticoat to go with, but I can wear any colour petticoat I want, so nyah.
I'm in my shift because I was keeping it sexy for y'all, not because I was too lazy to put on a petticoat, that's right, uh-huh.
That's some half-dressed Elizabethan sex on stick, right there. I'm such a hussy, with my hair down! The Countess of Southampton has nothing on me, baby!
ETA: Thank you, everyone, for your wonderful compliments. To each of you, thanks - it means a lot, and makes me feel very, very good. You're all turning my head, and that can't be good for me!