I had a simply lovely weekend at the Farm - we painted the French doors leading to the library and the master bedroom, and it looks great. Bob also did all the measuring to put the framing in the outside doors, and we're going to put those in next time we're down there. The garage still needs the taping and mudding finished up, but Bob's shoulder is still out of whack, so we're holding off on that for the moment.
I thought it might be time for a jacket update - my jacket, that is. I have finished the blackwork fill on all the arm pieces, the gussets/shoulder tabs, and one of the back pieces (my pattern has two, with a center back seam). That leaves the other back piece, and the two front pieces:
I am still waffling back and forth on whether to do cuffs; on the one hand, I always either wear my shirt turned back over the sleeve, or have cuffs pinned on:
...on the other hand, the cuffs do look rather awesome, and the lace is very attractive on the jackets that I saw that do have cuffs (not all of them do; the Maidstone jacket does not).
But, I can wait until I'm done for that decision, since I can draw them up and do them any time - they're attached to the sleeve fully finished.
I've also worked the gold on the gillyflower:
The gold is the special tambour, and I've worked the petals in detached buttonhole, and the leaf below in ceylon. I've played with the fill stitches for the different small leaves, and I've made notations on all the fill stitches I've used - that's why I keep a binder of notes.
I can't recommend a binder for each project highly enough; it really helps to have all my references in one place. Also, I keep pictures of extant jackets and paintings of jackets to inspire me and keep me going. There are times when I get a bit bogged down, especially when I realize I've already put 1500 hours into this project, and I'm not even halfway done.
And then, there are times when I just take a break. Like this last week or so, where I've been playing with various patterns for fingerless mittens. I thought I'd start actually using some of the gorgeous wools I have in my stash, especially since some of them are not appropriate for Elizabethan knitting, but they're so lovely I bought them anyway. I planned socks initially, but I bought a pair of fingerless mittens to wear in England on the Jacket Tour, and they were so useful and comfortable, I thought I'd make myself a pair:
I love the changes of colours, and the black really makes the whole thing pop. Of course, I forgot to finish the top edge with seed stitch or purl, so it curls a bit, but I don't really mind. I just love the way they feel.
The brand is Jojoland Melody Superwash, it's 100% wool, and I think the colour is MS14 (I lost the paper wrap, and I only had one ball of it). The black is some alpaca I picked up years ago. I still have bunches of it left, even though I use it quite a bit.
I'm playing and experimenting with different sizes and stitches in another Melody wool that isn't as variegated, but I think I like this pattern best, with slight modifications. I love the length, since I can scrunch them up or wear them long.
Anyway, that's what I've been doing.