I'm feeling lazy as hell this morning, and it's been a while since I did a meme (that whole not being able to read my friends' list means that I'm missing all those deathless blog-filling memes that regularly get passed around), so here's one I stole from Shakesville:
Welcome to the 2009 edition of getting to know your Friends. Blah blah blah:
1. What time did you get up this morning? I'm dealing with insomnia at the moment, so I dozed in five-minute intervals for about an hour starting at 3:30am, then got up at 4:35am.
2. Diamonds or pearls? I admit, I do like the fossilized carbon thingies, though I'm not really happy about the way they're harvested or sold. But pearls require more upkeep.
3. What was the last film you saw at the cinema? "District 9" - it's good, not standard sci-fi adventure, a bit nauseating in places, but pretty straightforwardly open about its anti-racist message (though a little problematic in its depiction, if they really thought giant, purposefully animalistic cockroaches were a good analogy for black South Africans, though this is Peter Jackson, and he thought it was a fab idea to make all the Orcs in LoTR black-skinned, so there you go).
4. What is your favorite TV show? Uh... "The Soup"? I know it's anti-feminist, but it is funny when it stays away from slut- and fat-shaming, and often takes very good pot shots at the evils of status quo TV.
5. What do you usually have for breakfast? Coffee, and something random from my office stash. This morning it was a Nature Valley bar and a small bag of Mini-Pringles. Yesterday it was oatmeal and a handful of Swedish Fish.
Yum, Swedish Fish. I like the assorted flavour kind.
6. What is your middle name? Diana, like the untameable goddess. I am not, however, particularly virginal. Chased, yes. Chaste, no.
7. What food do you dislike? I really hate summer squash and zucchini, especially the way most restaurants do it - it's slimy. I also hate grapes/raisins in curry, and walnuts in chicken salad. I think it's a texture thing.
8. What is your favorite CD at moment? Patton Oswalt, Werewolves and Lollipops/ Kate Bush, The Kick Inside.
9. What kind of car do you drive? Mazda MX-5, known as Miata. It has a rocket "science" fish on the back (soon to be joined by a " 'n'chips" fish), and is a hard-top convertible.
10. Favorite sandwich? Peanut butter, onion, and cheese. Just deal, okay? I tend not to do sanwiches much these days, since I have to go back on the gluten-free diet properly, and most of the GF bread tastes like polystyrene block.
11. What characteristic do you despise? Self-righteous ire. No-one ever does any real good (and often lots of harm) when they're in a self-righteous fit of "fixing things". Give it a rest.
12. Favorite item of clothing? I'm wearing a pair of Steve Madden shoes that I rather like right now, but I guess my embroidered jacket.
13. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation, where would you go? Bamburgh, Northumberland. It calls me.
(I know, I'm not very adventurous, but I'm feeling a bit homesick. The advent of cooler weather does that to me.)
14. Favorite brand of clothing? Thrift store. It has the advantage of being cheaper than most other brands, while maintaining quality materials, if you're patient and keep looking.
15. Where would you retire to? Central Virginia. I haz a howse.
16. What was your most memorable birthday? Um... They're all pretty good... but I'm going on a cruise to Bermuda for my 40th this year, so I'm thinking it might be that.
17. What is your favorite sport to watch? YouTube antics by teenage/early 20s guys putting their manly bits in mortal danger. And Tazer Tag.
18. Furthest place you are sending this? I have readers in New Zealand, I think...
19. Person you expect to send it back first? Someone bored who can't think of anything else to put in their blog today.
20. When is your birthday? December. The vault copy of my birth certificate says so, anyway. Who knows, maybe I was smuggled in from Paraguay, and my birth certificate was faked, so that some day I could become the Attack Laurel.
21. Are you a morning person or a night person? Late afternoon/early evening.
23. Pets? None at the moment - I have to satisfy myself with annoying my friends' pets.
24. Any new and exciting news you'd like to share with us? Not yet.
25. What did you want to be when you grow up? An English teacher. Yes, I know. Yes, I'm serious.
26. How are you today? Achy, but otherwise pretty sanguine.
27. What is your favorite candy? That which is in front of me when I want candy.
28. What is your favorite flower? Chrysanthemum - I love the way they smell.
29. What is a day on the calendar you are looking forward to? Workin' for the weekend.
30. What are you listening to right now? Something off the soundtrack from Narnia: LWatW.
31. What was the last thing you ate? Yellow Swedish Fish.
32. Do you wish on stars? Yes, and the wishes frequently come true. Either I know what to wish for, or I'm mad lucky. I think it's a bit of both.
33. If you were a crayon, what color would you be? Black. Duh.
34. How is the weather right now? The weather is feeling fine thank you, but would prefer not to be disturbed until after lunch.
35. The first person you spoke to on the phone today? Hang-up. Probably Bob, a bit later.
36. Favorite soft drink? Orangina. Mmmmm. The French brand tastes better, by the way (snob).
37. Favorite restaurant? One where my curse doesn't follow. Still looking.
38. Real hair color? Dark brown, with lots and lots of white. I've been going grey since I was 18.
39. What was your favorite toy as a child? My severely modified Barbie-type dolls that went on quests with my brother's GI Joe dolls. And the giant doll house my father made.
40. Summer or winter? Autumn. I like leaves.
41. Hugs or kisses? I like the Hershey's kisses that are swirled white and dark chocolate. Other than that, stay away unless I initiate contact or you know me very, very well.
42. Chocolate or Vanilla? Caramel.
43. Coffee or tea? Depends on the time of day. Lots of milk and sugar, and no herbal tea glop, thanks.
44. Do you want your friends to email you back? I'm very, very bad at replying to e-mail, so probably better not.
45. When was the last time you cried? Bob made me laugh until I cried a couple of days ago.
46. What is under your bed? Assorted dust bunnies, an army of lost socks, and a very small monster who is afraid of thunderstorms and likes to be cuddled.
47. What did you do last night? Sewed. Watched TV. Read a book. Pretty much all at the same time.
48. What are you afraid of? Thunderstorms, spiders, and losing Bob.
49. Salty or sweet? It depends on my mood, but more often sweet. I tried to give up sugar once, and gained ten pounds and a very bad temper. I need sugar.
50. How many keys on your key ring? More than I should. About six, and that's with moving other keys to other key-rings.
51. How many years at your current job? 8. Yeah, no-one here can believe it, either.
52. Favorite day of the week? Friday. I don't work Fridays.
53. How many towns have you lived in? Three. The rest were all suburbs.
54. Do you make friends easily? I'm awkward and shy, and afraid of imposing on people, but sometimes, friendships just click. I couldn't really tell you.
55. How many people will you send this to? *checks friend's list* 745+.
56. How many will respond? As many as made it to the end of this post, I suspect.